MetroPCS officially launched the Alcatel 7 today. The listed retail price of the device is $179.99, however customers who port-in and subscribe to an unlimited data plan can get it for free. Customers who add a new line of service or qualify for an upgrade will get it for $129.99. To qualify for an upgrade you must not have purchased a phone at a discount in the past 90 days.
Alcatel 7 Specifications
The Alcatel 7 comes in at the bigger end of the spectrum. It features a 6 inch 2160x1080p display, complete with bezels top and bottom. Other device specifications include the following:
- 4,000 mAh battery with Fast Charging Pump Express 2.0
- Dual rear cameras featuring a 12 MP and 2 MP lens and an 8MP selfie camera with flash
- 32GB of internal storage expandable with a microSD card
- 2GB RAM
- 2.5GHz MediaTek MT6736TA Octa-Core processor.
- Android 8.1 Oreo
- Face unlock
- Rear fingerprint reader
- USB type C
- Support for the following LTE bands:
If you want the phone for free, you'll have to subscribe to one of MetroPCS's two unlimited data plans which are described below.
- $50/month - unlimited everything, but no hotspot allowed and video streaming limited to a maximum resolution of 480p. Save - get 2 lines for $80/month.
- $60/month - unlimited everything. Includes 10GB of 4LTE hotspot data before throttling. Video streams limited to a maximum resolution of 480p. Save - add additional lines for $30/month. A maximum of 4 lines allowed.
Those that consume more than 35GB of data in a month may have their data speeds temporarily reduced during times of heavy network congestion. This is a policy called data prioritization and it is something that all unlimited plans on the market also employ. The prices shown includes taxes. There is a $10 per line activation fee.
If you hope to be able to pick the phone up and get it unlocked for use with another network such as AT&T, keep in mind MetroPCS won't unlock the phone for you unless you keep it active on their network for a minimum of 180 consecutive days.