Back in February, SpeedTalk Mobile updated several of its "Value Plans" to include more data. After the update, the plans offered excellent value to wireless shoppers. SpeedTalk Mobile's Value Plans are your standard pay by the month prepaid wireless plans.
Sometime after February's plan updates, several Value Plans were inexplicably removed from the company's phone plan lineup. I reached out to SpeedTalk Mobile for comment several days ago and have not gotten a response back. As observed by Dennis Bournique of PrepaidCompare.net, the plans were most likely removed sometime in early March. So the plan changes were certainly short lived.
The plans that are no longer being offered include the following:
Subscribe to BestMVNO and always be informed of the latest deals, plans and carrier promotions!
- $18/month - 3GB hard capped LTE data
- $26/month - unlimited data, first 5GB at LTE data speeds
- $35/month - unlimited data, first 6GB at LTE data speeds
All plans included unlimited talk and text. The $18 and $26 plans really compared favorably in the budget phone plan market space.
Additionally, in February, SpeedTalk Mobile's $15 value plan got updated to include 1GB of 4G LTE data. Prior to the update, the plan included 500MB of data. The plan has since had its data allotment reduced back down to 500MB.
With the changes in place, SpeedTalk Mobile now only offers 3 Value Plans. They are priced as follows:
- $5/month - 100 minutes, 100 SMS, 100 MB of hard capped LTE data
- $9/month - 500 minutes, unlimited text, 500 MB of hard capped LTE data
- $15/month - unlimited talk, unlimited text, 500 MB of hard capped LTE data
As you can see, the Value Plans come with talk, text and/or data caps. If a customer runs out of a service allotment in a month a "Cash Card" pay as you go top-up can be purchased. Two top-up cards are offered priced at $5 and $10. Both top-up cards offer the same rate charges of 2¢ per minute, text message or MB of data consumed. The top-up cards do rollover as long as the subscriber has an active plan.
It is not known why SpeedTalk Mobile discontinued those plans, but it can be speculated that it may have been to try and push the company's annual plan options more. Annual plans help providers lock in customers for longer periods of time and to secure more revenue up front.
SpeedTalk Mobile offers 4 annual plans priced as follows:
- $60/year (average cost $5/month)- includes monthly allotments of 250 minutes, or 250 SMS, or 250MB of 4G LTE data
- $99/year ($8.25/month)- includes monthly allotments of 500 minutes, unlimited SMS, and 1GB of 4G LTE data
- $160/year ($13.33/month)- includes unlimited talk and text, 2GB of monthly 4G LTE data
- $249/year ($20.75/month)- includes unlimited talk, text, and data with the first 3GB each month at 4G LTE data speeds
Unless specified, all annual plans come with hard-capped data. The only plan that includes unlimited 2g data is the $249 annual plan.
SpeedTalk Mobile is an MVNO that is powered by the T-Mobile network. The prepaid provider also offers several Pay As You Go and Data Rollover plans which you can find out more about on the SpeedTalk Mobile website. The plans are also available for purchase via eBay and Amazon.