Gen Mobile is a new wireless provider on the Sprint network. The business was co-founded by Michael Yap and his brother Robert Yap in February of 2018. Michael has a background in corporate law and serves as an executive at the company. Robert is the CEO and brings 15 years of expertise to the brand. Prior to launching Gen Mobile, Robert served as President and Chief Legal Officer (CLO) at TruConnect. He also previously worked as the CLO at H2O Wireless.
Gen Mobile soft launched in July of 2018, and officially went live in August. The MVNO is focused on offering affordable phone plans that cost no more than $25/month with international texting included.
Gen Mobile Phone Plans
A total of six phone plans are currently offered by the company. The plans are as follows:
- $5/month - 0 minutes, unlimited domestic and international texting, no data.
- $10/month - unlimited talk, text and global texting. No data.
- $10/month - 300 minutes, unlimited domestic and global texting, 1GB of 4G LTE data. Same add-ons available as on the $5/month plan.
- $15/month - unlimited domestic and global calling to over 100 countries. Unlimited and domestic global texting and 1GB 4G LTE data. Also includes a $2 international calling credit.
- $20/month - unlimited domestic and global calling to over 100 countries. Unlimited and domestic global texting and 2GB 4G LTE data. Also includes a $2 international calling credit.
- $25/month - unlimited domestic and global calling to over 100 countries. Unlimited and domestic global texting and 3GB 4G LTE data. Also includes a $2 international calling credit.
Add-ons are available for each plan priced at $5 for 500 minutes, $5 for a $5 international calling credit and $5 per 500MB of 4G LTE data. Data containing plans do not include unlimited 2G data once the plans 4G LTE data gets used up. Data is hard capped. All plans with data include mobile hotspot. All plans also include what Gen Mobile calls a "15 day text freebie." The text freebie offers subscribers the ability to send domestic and international text messages for up to 15 days after plan expiration. After that, if a plan fails to get paid for and renewed, service is suspended. At the moment, plan renewal needs to be done using the Gen Mobile app which is available on both iOS and Android. Refill's online with a refill card/pin number and credit or debit card are said to be coming soon. The company does have one store open located in Los Angeles California.
Taxes and fees cost extra. Gen Mobile is also charging a $25 activation fee.
Available Phones And BYOD
Gen Mobile has over a dozen phones available for purchase. All phones are pre-owned and sold locked to the Sprint network, however they can be taken to other Sprint MVNO's. Available phones include the following:
- Alcatel GO Flip flip phone - $34
- LG X Power - $94
- LG Stylo 3 - $134
- iPhone 6 32GB - $184
- iPhone 6 Plus 64GB - $224
- iPhone 7 128GB - $434
- iPhone 6 16GB - $134
- iPhone SE 16GB - $114
- iPhone 4s 16GB - $44
- iPhone 5s 16GB - $94
- Samsung Galaxy S5 32GB - $114
- Samsung Galaxy S6 32GB - $184
- Samsung Galaxy S7 32GB - $214
- Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge 32GB - $294
- Samsung Galaxy S8 64GB - $434
- Samsung Galaxy S8+ - $474
- Samsung Galaxy S9 64GB - $614
The MVNO also supports bring your own device. Devices from Sprint, Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile are supported. Some universally unlocked phones are also supported including Apple iPhones, Google Pixels and Nexus devices and several phones from Motorola.
Gen Mobile's phone plans aren't the cheapest around but they aren't far off and do compare favorably in the market place.