FreedomPop has launched some Best Buy exclusive plans. The MVNO says that the plans are compatible with GSM devices from networks such as AT&T, T-Mobile and Cricket. Given that FreedomPop has a partnership with AT&T, we can safely infer that these plans run on the AT&T network.
Pricing starts at under $5/month for unlimited talk, and text with 1GB of 4G LTE data.
The plans being offered are actually multi-month plans. It seems that FreedomPop is expanding on the multi-month plans it began offering a short while ago.
FreedomPop has informed me that these Best Buy exclusive plans come with the following features:
- Unlimited talk and text with 1GB of LTE data to use every month
- Voicemail & MMS
- Compatibility with most unlocked Android & iOS GSM devices including unlocked phones from AT&T, T-Mobile, Metro PCS, Cricket and other GSM carriers
I'm actually a bit skeptical about the claim of voicemail and MMS being included in this offer. I've reached out to FreedomPop for an explanation and to see if they made a mistake with their mailing, because typically they charge extra for MMS and voicemail. Even if they aren't included and cost a few dollars extra each month, this is still a good bargain.
FreedomPop has confirmed to me that the plans do in fact come with MMS and voicemail. )
Keep in mind that FreedomPop is a VoIP provider, and that talk and text service is provided over data networks only. This means you get data and WiFi calling and texting but not traditional calling over a cellular voice network.
FreedomPop 99¢ Trial offer
In addition to the Best Buy plans, FreedomPop has got a new trial offer out. The new trial offer costs just 99¢ and includes the following:
- Service on AT&T's network
- Unlimited talk and text with 2GB of LTE data, regularly priced at $24.99/month
- Free trial of FreedomPop Phone Premier, regularly priced at $7.99/month
- Free shipping
FreedomPop Phone Premier adds the following features to the base plan:
- Visual voicemail
- Data Rollover - rollover your unused data and bank up to 20 GB for use anytime
- Data Compression - get up to 2x your data with compression technology
- Usage Alerts - prevent pay as you go charges before going over data limits with usage alerts
- Private Internet - ensures that your internet, voice calls & texts are secure and encrypted
- Ad Blocker - block intrusive ads, pop-ups, and video ads to enhance browsing
- Sponsor Ads Free Messaging - avoid banner ads in your messaging app
This is a good deal for those who just want to get essentially a free month of service on a phone plan, and those who can live without the Phone Premier package. With the Phone Premier package, the plan will end up costing $32.98/month after the first month, and there are cheaper ATT MVNO's out there. But if you just care about the 2GB of data without a long term multi-month commitment, this looks like a pretty good deal.