Visible by Verizon quietly removed its device swap program, in favor of a new offer called "Visible Payback." The device swap program gave customers a free Visible compatible phone when they traded in any old phone they had as long as it turned on and wasn't already compatible with the network. The free phone offer also required a number port and for customers to pay for their first month of service. The free phones offered with trade-in over the years always had a ballpark face value of $100.
So what's different about the new Visible Payback offer?
Well, to start, a trade-in is no longer required to get a free phone from the company. The downside, and it's a big one to me, is that subscribers must now maintain service with Visible by Verizon for at least 12 months to get their phone for free. They also have to pay the full retail price for the phone upfront. It will be made "free" via Visible paying you back with monthly bill credits over 12-24 months.
Eligibility criteria for the Visible Payback program is similar to what it was under the swap program minus the device trade-in requirement. To be eligible for it you must meet the following criteria:
- Be a new Visible member
- Have a device that's incompatible with Visible's network
- Purchase a device at its full retail price
- You must port your number in from an eligible carrier (Visible's carrier eligibility list is still out of date as it lists providers like EasyGo and Virgin Mobile, both of which shut down several years ago).
- You can subscribe to either the Visible or Visible+ plan
- You must maintain service for the entire payback period of 12-24 months
- A current maximum of $105 in bill credits will be offered
Currently, only two phones are available for free under the Visible Payback program, the TCL 30 LE ($105 list price) and the $80 Orbic Joy.
Visible by Verizon's swap program was launched four years ago in April, 2019. The Visible Payback offer launched in late October, 2023. Visible by Verizon has made no formal announcement or blog posts about the new Payback Offer.